Skip to main content

Comments

Anonymous said…
Jim,

You already know I'm a fan of your photography. The trouble is, I don't know much about Flickr. I've noticed some Flickr images have a Creative Commons license permitting their reuse with various combinations of restrictions. Your photos, at least some of them, are protected by copyright.

On occasion, I purchase images or image collections to use in projects for clients. Sometimes I simply recommend a purchase to a client. In the past, I've purchased stock photography from Getty Images and 123RF (both ends of the spectrum, pricewise). When I need something quick and free, I go to stock.xchng.

I'd love to have the option to buy images from you directly. I don't have any immediate requirements, but you've displayed photographs I'd find a way to use, simply because I like them. (laughing)

Now, I'll tell you what royalty-free stock photos go for individually. (By stock photos, readers, I refer to photos that have already been taken and organized and then are selected from a database or catalog by a graphic designer. Sometimes they're grouped by color or subject, and they're always tagged, which makes the designer's job a lot easier but far from easy.) I've paid anywhere from $1 to $100 per image and as much as $500 for a collection based on a theme. I've located individual photographs in the $500 range that clients liked but considered too expensive.

The online availability of inexpensive yet excellent royalty-free stock photography to illustrate anything from websites to brochures to books is increasing, which means photographers are making less for their work. It's like everything else, I'm sorry to say.
Let me know if you'd be willing to quote a price per image that I could keep in mind when giving estimates. We could always get into more specifics as needed. As I said, I just want to keep your portfolio in mind in case the opportunity arises, but only if you’re interested.
VagabondJim said…
I'm interested enough to continue the talk offline...

V a g a b o n d j i m (at) gmail dot com

(no spaces, tht's just spam protection)


jim

Popular posts from this blog

Almost famous, again

I made Andrew Sullivan's " The View from Your Window " again: http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2007/11/the-view-fro-25.html He captioned it incorrectly. I twas actually taken at 00:05 -- i.e., 5 minutes past midnight. The orangish color is from the tungsten filament light bulbs -- while they appear light to your eye, they are really orangish. Your brain is pretty smart and adjusts for this (and for fluorescent, or mercury vapor, or even sunny versus cloudy sunlight.) So, that's the Santa Monica office and the LA apartment....next stop, Lompoc! See also: Fame Awaits

Fields of Lompoc -- Evening Clouds Approaching

Fields of Lompoc -- Evening Clouds Approaching Originally uploaded by VagabondJim Not much to write today. I t was a hectic day at work because we had a manditory "team bulding event". Everybody had to leave the office by 11am. Don't get me wrong, these are fun events -- but they seem to coincide with days that are awful for me. Sometimes they kill my chance at getting ahead of the L.A. traffic for the drive to Lompoc. And, they occasionally involve doing things that I would rather do with Janice -- and then she's bummed too because we either miss something she'd want to do or she hates the fact that I have to re-do something (which leads her to believe it must be boring me -- usually not a true assumption.) So all-in-all I have mixed feelings. Maybe if they weren't always on Fridays. Anyway that made for a busy day. One without much to share with y'all. I did make great time driving tonight; 2:57 including about a half hour stop at Costco.